My second Colette Laurel

ADSENSE HERE

Oh dear. I said in my last post that I had more Laurels planned, but even I'm surprised that I started on my next one almost immediately. I think there may be at least another three Laurels in my head. I'd quite like to make a few from light-weight cottons as, as much as I'd like my life to be one that accommodates wearing silk at all times, the reality is that cotton would be a more practical option much of the time. 


This one has a completely look and feel as I've used a plain fabric and made the piping on the collar and binding at the sleeves the main feature. The other thing I've done differently is to raise the neckline a little to accommodate a proper Peter Pan collar, rather than one that's attached with bias binding (this is how I attached the collar for my last Laurel)


The silk has been sandblasted, which gives it a finish that has a semi-matt lustre, a manageable hand and a slightly faded look to the colour - I love it. It's the most wonderful fabric, but not without a few problems. Firstly, it will expose the slightest mark, so I'll probably wear it when we're going out for drinks, rather than dinner (which may cause images of Paddington with marmalade on his paws to spring to mind, but it would be precisely when wearing a top like this that a stray olive would choose to hurl itself at me and roll down my top). The sandblasted silk sews beautifully on the machine where its own weight is supported on the bed of the machine, but it's less forgiving when hand-sewing and when I hemmed it by hand I found I had to be incredibly careful not to cause tiny runs to form in the fabric by pulling on the thread with too much force.


It is so lovely to finally have a go-to pattern that I know is going to just work in every way and fit reliably well each time I make it. I have some Nani Iro that I've been so reticent to cut into, but I'm now pondering a Laurel dress.

It's Friday, the weekend is almost here and we have cake in the house to celebrate my father's retirement later today (his retirement has been on the verge of happening for several years but he has always agreed to stay on a little longer at the last minute. I feel quite disbelieving that he isn't just announcing a retirement to have a quick pitstop for cakes, before picking up his briefcase and heading back off to the City again). I will not be wearing either of my Laurels because of the Paddington/marmalade problem. Cake eating is just such a time when a Laurel in voile or cotton would be perfect.

Wishing you a lovely weekend,
Florence x ADSENSE HERE
 

Popular Posts

Follow Us